Jefferson City Field Trip

We had an amazing time on our field trip to the Missouri State Capitol, Jefferson City. We were able to tour the capitol building, watch the House of Representatives at work, visit the state Museum, eat lunch at Runge Nature Center, hike the trails there, watch a snake program (including touching some of them!), and learn about safety at the State Highway Patrol. The students had a wonderful trip riding on the Charter buses donated by our PTA, and I am sure everyone slept well that night. Check out the following video showing some of the fun things we got to do:

Jefferson City Field Trip from Stephanie Heckstetter on Vimeo.

We should have pictures of the trip up by this weekend!

10 thoughts on “Jefferson City Field Trip

1. I am a new fourth grade teacher. Could you please send me details about your trip? I would love to take my class this year! Thank you!

1. Jefferson City is a great trip to go on.  We set up in August our schedule through our state representative.  You should be able to call the representative for where your district is located and the secretary should be able to help schedule everything.  Our PTA rents charter buses for the trip because it takes around 2 hours to get there.  We ask students to arrive at 6:30 a.m. And we depart at 7 a.m.  We arrive at the state capital at 9 and go on a 45 minute tour of the capital led by a tour guide.  We then go into the House chambers to see the representatives in action.  After that, we take a photo with our representative on the front steps of the capital.  From there we board the buses and head to Runge Nature Center for an hour to eat lunch, explore the Nature Museum, and go on hikes on the many trails.  We then have a conservationist led program about snakes where the students get to touch and learn about reptiles.  We then head over to the Highway Patrol center around 2:00.  The students explore the museum and watch a video about seat belt safety.  At 3:00 we head back on the buses for the 2 hour drive home.  We get back to school around 5:00.  You can also visit the governor’s mansion or Central Dairy (a real working dairy farm with ice cream samples).  We do not book each part separately, the secretary at our representative’s office books everything for us.  I hope this helps.  Email me if you have any questions sheckstr@hazelwoodschools.org

Stephanie Heckstetter

Sent from my iPad