Week of January 22nd – 26th!!!

I am sorry for posting this a day late, I had a meeting during my plan time on Monday. This week is a regular week for our classroom with not a lot of changes to our schedule. Please check-out our upcoming activities:

Monday-Thursday: read 20 minutes, fill out reading log
Tuesday: Orchestra concert at West High School 6:30 pm
Friday: bookmobile and reading log dues
Saturday: STEM day at Hazelwood Central High School from 10-2

ELA:
We are switching to a new type of spelling words this week: prefixes and suffixes. Prefixes and suffixes both have a root word with either a beginning sound or ending sound added to it. We are no longer just working on words that have a matching sound pattern. This week our words have the suffix -ern (meaning direction) and include norther, southern, eastern, western, and postern. Our other set of words has the suffix -one (meaning a female who) and includes the words: princess, waitress, countess, hostess, and actress. We are also working on first-person and third-person point of view. First person point of view means the author tells a story through their own experiences and uses words such as: I, us, and we. Third-person point of view means the author tells about what all of the characters are doing, but not through a personal lens. They use words such as: he, them, and they. Here are some practice pages:
1. Slideplayer.com presentation about Point of View
2. Point of View song (focus on first and third person)
3. Practice Quiz

Science:
We are working on sources of energy, how energy is transferred from one form to another, and renewable/nonrenewable resources. Check out these practice pages:
1. Sorting Natural Resources game
2. You have the Power game
3. Transfer of energy online game